Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Setting Sons by The Jam 1979


Arriving in the UK in late 79 I waited until I got to my family's place in Blackpool before I let myself go record shopping. I was afraid of how much I would buy and then have to carry it around for the next month or so. So the first day in Blackpool I went to WH Smith and bought two albums, London Calling and Setting Sons. When I got back to my cousin Neil's house I didn't know what to put on first. In the end, I chose The Jam.
He had this thing called a Music Centre set up in the front room. The speakers were high and when I put on Setting Sons "Girl On The Phone " just exploded. I can't remember anything ever sounding so good. The trouble of course was I wouldn't really get to hear any more of this stuff until I got back to Melbourne.
But when I did arrive home in late January laden with boxes of albums and singles it was to a slightly different world. While there I had got myself a Union Jack coat made up by Paul Weller's tailor. My hair which had been growing long was now back to a short cut and it was done in Carnaby Street. I was ready to help kick-start the Mod movement in Melbourne. Me and a few friends would gather in a house in South Yarra and talk about what we could do to get more people interested in our Mod obsession. We started a club Kommotion and a fanzine called "Start" Little Murders draped amps in flags, covered Who and soul songs and organised Mod discos instead of support acts. On the street, scooters started appearing. In the background, The Jam "Setting Sons" played. A brilliant time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment