Search This Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Blow Up A-Go-Go! by various artists 1999

I bought this album at the Mighty Music Machine in Chapel Street Prahran. I bought it because there was a song by the Kinks that I'd never heard of. Of course, it may have been rubbish (but it wasn't) but there was something about the look of the album that said it might have some good stuff on it. I took a quick listen on the headphones something I hardly ever do. Mainly because it usually puts me off buying the record. Anyway, a quick scan through this album and I was amazed at how great it all sounded. It was like a glimpse into someone else's club or their record box. These songs were touted as hits from the legendary Blow Up club in London. And when I got the album home and started playing it I was wishing I could go to a club that played these songs. It set me off on a trip looking for more obscure but groovy sounds from the sixties and seventies. Not really something I'd done before but now I was buying weird seventies soundtracks and hip lost treasures. 
The first hour of the Lizard Lounge as the people were just coming in I'd use to create my own little Blow-Up vibe. Spinning tracks like Bert's Apple Crumble, Bongolia and Shake by The Shadows of Knight. Also got me back into playing Northern Soul and early ska. In 1999 while everyone was getting a little bit more dance floor I was constantly listening to obscure groovy tracks.
Just listening to the album again now I want to get some friends together and party. 

No comments:

Post a Comment