Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Radio City by Big Star 1974


 In the early 90s, I was living in the first house I ever bought. Well, there have only been two. I bought a house in John Street in Elwood next to the canal. Great place and a great walk to the beach. At first, I didn't particularly want to live there alone. So I got my old bandmate Rod Hayward in to share the place with me.

I met Rod back in 1982 when the third version of Little Murders broke up after a tour of Sydney. Rod came from the band the Pete Best Beatles who I loved to go and see. Bit of a comedy cabaret band, At the same time, we got Mick Barclay (Japanese Comix) on drums and Chris Hunter (Cuban Heels) on bass. The 1982-1985 Murder line-up was magic from the word go.

With the eventual breakup in 1985, Rod went back to the Pete Best Beatles for a while before joining Dave Grayney's band (White Buffaloes and Coral Snakes) and from there to overseas tours and gold records. That's his wonderful guitar work on Dave's track "You're Just Too Hip, Baby" From there to Lisa Miller and back to Little Murders for the last 20 years. He is the guitar man.

But going back to 1991 when Rod moved in he brought along a double CD of Big Star which was the first two albums. I had never really listened to them before or if I did I had only heard bits and pieces and their "hits". So this was a revelation. We'd sit and play chess, drink beer and listen to Big Star. Songs would leap out of the speakers. September Gurls, I'm in Love with a Girl, Back of My Car. I could have put down their first album too but Radio City seems to be the one I go to first when listening to Big Star.


No comments:

Post a Comment