Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Odessey and Oracle by the Zombies 1968

Okay it's been two years since I last wrote about albums on this Blog and in this time I've been busy sorting my records, buying more vinyl, listening to more music in album form rather than bits and pieces on my iTunes. Actually I don't think I can ever go back to listening to music on random anymore. I have discovered new and old records and built up additional albums that I can say soundtrack my life.
I'd heard about this album for years and had it on my iTunes but never really listened to it. A couple of years ago I was in Off The Hip Records chatting to owner Mick Baty when I came across it in the LP racks. I bought it on a whim but when I got it home and put it on the turntable I don't think it came off for days. And the whole family liked it too. Well except for my oldest daughter who's not really into that sort of thing.
But it's such a joyous record just putting it makes you feel good. The fact that the album came out after the band had broken up and they the spelling on the title is all messed up just adds to it's allure.
In an album full of great tracks, including "Time of the Season", it's the song "Friends of Mine" which resonates for me. Because my wife Liz and I have danced to it so many times around the living room floor it almost belongs to us.


No comments:

Post a Comment