Search This Blog

Friday, September 23, 2011

More Adventurous by Rilo Kiley 2004


I was reading an article about Elvis Costello because although I can no longer sit through a whole album he does come up with a few good songs now and then and he does good interviews. The man does have an opinion. Regrettably I love his old stuff better than his new stuff. It happens.  
In the article, he was talking about Jenny Lewis and her band Rilo Kiley. He usually has pretty good taste so I sought out the album. And it was fantastic. One song on it "Does He Love You?" sent shivers up my spine when I heard it.  I just couldn't stop playing it. Then there was "Portions For Foxes" and the sublime "It's a Hit". The album was full of brilliant songs. This was their third album so I went looking for other stuff and I find heaps. Not only the previous albums but demos and such. What I didn't find much of were videos. They didn't seem to make many vids of their songs. But I became a bit of a Rilo Kiley obsessive for a while.
I don't know if they ever toured Australia but I did get to see Jenny Lewis performing at RRR a few years back. No Rilo songs but songs off the Jenny and Johnny album. "I/m Having Fun Now" (which is a great record too) And she's still writing classic pop songs. Great night but the first time I'd seen a band without a drink. Didn't hurt that much and managed to get down to The Tote for a beer afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment