I was a bit wary because recently I had been to a Form 2 party where they had repeatedly played the first side, and it didn’t thrill me all that much. So when I played it for the first time, I put on the second side.
And for me, it’s now the ultimate side of a Beatles album. No silly songs, sonic adventures or twee writing to mess it up. And the way the songs tumble into each other...
So began my record collecting with the Beatles. What a great way to start. The first thing I decided to do was collect all the Beatles albums.
Many years later, when I was a DJ at Rubber Soul, the Sixties nightclub, we would put on Beatles specials where every third song was a Beatles record. One of the standouts for me was when Ronny, the other DJ, would put on the second half of side two Mean Mr Mustard, Polythene Pam and all the rest.
It was totally groovy!
No comments:
Post a Comment