Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Singles Going Steady by The Buzzcocks 1979



Another compilation album but what a fantastic bunch of tracks. And the Buzzcocks had a brilliant run of singles beginning with Boredom (not included) right until the Harmony in My Head and beyond that. I remember seeing the album on import at Missing link Records and getting so excited at seeing all these tracks together even knowing I had most of them already. It just seemed the ultimate in modern pop. Pete Shelley sure could write a great pop single. B sides were terrific too.
Little Murders were lucky enough to support them at the Prince of Wales back in 2003. I got to chat to Pete about Blackpool of all things cos his Aunt lived close to there. And he signed album cover sleeves that Joey from Dollsquad gave me to get signed. On stage they were ferocious and loud.
I first got into the Buzzcocks when I was in The Fiction. They were a great influence on the way I wrote songs. I've tried to cover their songs on a number of occasions but I never get anywhere close to getting the sound right.
Now I'm back playing with The Fiction again when I'm creating songs for the band I keep referring back to the sound of the Buzzcocks. They truly are the gold standard in punk-pop songwriting. We even cover one of the songs from this album. "Ever Fallen in Love"

No comments:

Post a Comment